Laura Dewhirst, PsyD, LP
Approach To Care
Dr. Dewhirst focused her pre-doctoral and post-doctoral training on the treatment of schizophrenia spectrum disorders and psychosis. She has worked primarily in inpatient and long-term care settings and has benefitted from serving diverse clientele navigating a wide variety of life challenges and diagnoses.
Dr. Dewhirst strives to approach therapy with curiosity and warmth. She utilizes the recovery model of mental healthcare, meaning she prioritizes collaboration and personalized treatment to help people meet the biopsychosocial goals that are valuable and meaningful to them as individuals.
Understanding there is no “one-sized fits all” approach to care, Dr. Dewhirst draws from a number of clinical interventions, including Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Psychosis (CBT-p), Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Positive/Strengths-Based Psychology, Mindfulness, and Solution-Focused therapy.
- Doctor of Clinical Psychology (PsyD) – Pacific University, Oregon
- Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology (MA) – Pacific University, Oregon
- Bachelor of Liberal Arts (BLA), Literature and Psychology Concentrations – University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Postdoctoral Fellowship at Riverview Psychiatric Center, Augusta, Maine
- Predoctoral Internship at St. Peter Regional Treatment Center, Forensic Mental Health Program, St. Peter, Minnesota
- “Self-Management and Recovery Training” (SMART) facilitator for the treatment of substance use disorders
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
Dr. Dewhirst values humor and creativity. She has lived in six states across the U.S. and enjoys traveling abroad. She prefers the outdoors (hiking, skiing, bicycling), but if indoors, she is usually busy reading, watching documentaries (and then sharing what’s learned with friends), drawing, and exploring new music.
All North Memorial Health providers accept the following insurance carriers. Don’t see your carrier or have insurance questions? Contact us at 763-581-CARE.
- Blue Cross
- Medical Assistance
- Preferred One