Cardiac Rehab Program
A multidisciplinary team of registered nurses, cardiac exercise specialists and a dietitian allows each customer’s treatment plan to be individualized to meet his/her specific goals and is overseen by a cardiologist.
Cardiac rehabilitation is meant to be fun and enjoyable but you are here for some very important reasons; to recover from your heart event, modify your cardiac risk factors, learn proper exercise techniques, learn how to live a healthier lifestyle, and improve strength and endurance. In order to help you accomplish these goals, we partner with you, your therapist and your provider.
- We believe in a multi-faceted team approach. North Memorial Heart & Vascular Institute’s Cardiac Rehabilitation Program is led by a multidisciplinary team of registered nurses, cardiac exercise specialists and a dietitian, providing a well-rounded approach to your rehabilitation.
- Ours is an accredited program. Our Cardiac Rehabilitation Program is accredited by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR).
Throughout the cardiac rehabilitation program you will benefit from working closely with highly trained and experienced healthcare professionals. You will work with an exercise physiologist or a registered nurse who have special training in cardiac rehabilitation. They have the knowledge and experience in nutrition, stress management, pharmacology, EKG interpretation, stress testing, exercise program planning, and education.
Each customer’s treatment plan is individualized to meet their specific needs and is overseen by a cardiologist. There are several ways you can help to get the most out of your experience in cardiac rehabilitation.
Education is essential to help customers understand and manage their heart condition. You will attend group education sessions during each appointment time. These will be held before or after you exercise. Education topics include; diet/nutrition, anatomy and physiology, medications, blood pressure management, stress management, benefits of exercise, cardiac warning signs and symptoms, emotional aspects of heart disease and weight management.
A few things to consider:
- Regular attendance is critical.
- Ongoing appointments with your physician.
- Take ALL medications as prescribed. Bring Nitroglycerin if prescribed.
- Daily Exercise. Each participant’s program is individualized and progressed according to tolerance within medical guidelines. Each customer will progress to a goal of 30-40 minutes of cardiovascular exercise during each session. Please do your part by exercising on the days you do not attend rehab in order to continue progressing in your recovery. Avoid exercise on the days you attend cardiac rehab in order to ensure optimal performance while in therapy.
- If you have had any new issues or symptoms at home, please let the staff know before you begin exercising.
Items to Note:
- Avoid eating a large meal and consuming caffeinated beverages at least one hour prior to your exercise session. Do not skip meals prior to your exercise session, a small meal or snack is fine.
- Avoid drinking alcohol the day of rehab.
- Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothing and comfortable
- You may bring your own headphones/music if you wish.
- Towels and water are provided.
- If you are continuing to smoke, we strongly encourage that you try to quit and will be happy to assist you in any way we can. We ask that you refrain from smoking for at least one hour prior to rehab as it will have an impact on your heart rates, rhythms, and blood pressures.
Make An Appointment
A referral from either your primary care physician and/or cardiologist is necessary to become a program participant.
For more information on Cardiac Rehabilitation, please call us at 763-581-6740.