Heart Failure Program
This is a bridging program meant to help transition eligible customers to an Outpatient Cardiac Rehabilitation Program. It is designed to be fun and enjoyable but you are here for some very important reasons; learn proper exercise techniques, know what the signs and symptoms are for heart failure, improve strength and endurance, and learn how to live a healthier lifestyle.
- Learn proper exercise techniques
- Identify the signs and symptoms for heart failure and when to notify your doctor
- Improve strength and endurance
- Have a better understanding/purpose of medications
- Learn how to live with a chronic condition
- Monitored exercise and education classes
- Tuesday and Thursday at 2 pm
- Meeting with a registered dietitian
- Appointments are held in the cardiac rehab department
Throughout the Heart Failure rehab program, you will benefit from working closely with highly trained and experienced healthcare professionals. You will work with an exercise physiologist and have the opportunity to meet with our registered dietitian, who has special training in cardiac care. They have the knowledge and experience in nutrition, stress management, pharmacology, EKG interpretation, stress testing, exercise program planning, and education.
Each customer’s treatment plan is individualized to meet their specific needs and is overseen by a cardiologist. There are several ways you can help to get the most out of your experience in the Heart Failure rehab program.
A few things to consider:
- Regular attendance is critical.
- Take ALL medications as prescribed. Bring Nitroglycerin if prescribed.
- Daily Exercise. Each participant’s program is individualized and progressed according to tolerance within medical guidelines. Each customer will progress to a goal of 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise during each session. Please do your part by exercising on the days you do not attend rehab in order to continue progressing in your recovery. Avoid exercise on the days you attend cardiac rehab in order to ensure optimal performance while in therapy.
- If you have had any new issues or symptoms at home, please let the staff know before you begin exercising.
- Education is essential to help customers understand and manage their heart condition. You will attend group education sessions during each appointment time. These will be held before or after you exercise. Education topics include; diet/nutrition, anatomy and physiology, medications, exercise, stress, CHF warning signs and symptoms and emotional aspects of heart disease.
Items to note:
- Avoid eating a large meal and consuming caffeinated beverages at least one hour prior to your exercise session. Do not skip meals prior to your exercise session, a small meal or snack is fine.
- Avoid drinking alcohol the day of therapy.
- Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothing and comfortable shoes with arch support.
- You may bring your own headphones/music if you wish.
- Towels and water are provided.
- If you are continuing to smoke, we strongly encourage that you try to quit and will be happy to assist you in any way we can. We ask that you refrain from smoking for at least one hour prior to rehab as it will have an impact on your heart rates, rhythms, and blood pressures.
Make An Appointment
For additional questions, or to see if you qualify for the program, please call 763-581-6740.