Services & Programs
- Our pharmacies are integrated with North Memorial Health’s electronic health record, so our health providers get up-to-date information.
- We work with your care team to order refills or when you need help making prescriptions more affordable.
- We check for drug interactions and allergies.
- We work with your provider to submit prior authorization requests for medication coverage when necessary.
- We accept most insurance plans, flexible spending accounts, and health savings accounts.
- We provide refills by phone, mobile device, or online.
- You do not need to be a North Memorial Health customer to fill your prescription; new and transfers welcome
Outpatient Pharmacy Locations:
Open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.; open Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Open Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Medication Therapy Management
Prescription medications, over-the-counter drugs, herbal or homeopathic remedies: It can be hard to make sense of your medicine-cabinet contents. North Memorial Health’s Medication Therapy Management pairs you with a specially trained pharmacist to help you with your medications. The pharmacist will ensure you’ll take only the medicines you need, in the amount you need them, and when you need to take them. You’ll get the information you need to make the most of your medicine and live your best life.Learn More about Medication Therapy Management
North Memorial Health’s Department of Pharmacy Services provides care in the inpatient setting 24/7 and utilizes a decentralized pharmacy model.
Pharmacy clinical services include, but are not limited to:
- Pharmacokinetic monitoring of aminoglycosides and vancomycin
- Renal dose adjustment program
- Intravenous to oral medication conversion program;
- Therapeutic interchange program
- Warfarin dosing program
- Medication reconciliation
- Parenteral nutrition
- Antimicrobial stewardship
- Bariatric consults
- Transitional care consults
Specialty Pharmacy Services
For qualifying Cancer Care, Infectious Disease and Rheumatology customers:
Customers may be assigned to a medication advocate who provides personalized, coordinated care to fit your needs.
Your advocate can:
- Help get medications(s) covered and approved by insurance
- Find financial assistance when co-pays are high
- Coordinate prescription refills and renewals
- Confirm if you want to pick up your medications or have them mailed to you
- Coordinate with North Memorial Health Pharmacy to have your medications ready
- Work with providers about your medication concerns
- Connect you with our clinical pharmacist to help handle any side effects and educate you about your medications
Learn More about Specialty Pharmacy Services
Residents have the opportunity to complete a quality improvement project, precept and are teaching assistants for doctor of pharmacy students from the University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy, and provide in-services to pharmacy and other health care providers. North Memorial’s staff pharmacists are actively involved in teaching residents.Learn More about Residency
Medication Disposal Boxes
Practicing safe, legal and regular medicine disposals for expired and unused medications helps prevent medicine misuse and abuse. Conveniently dispose of your medications at one of our medication disposal boxes.
Disposal boxes are installed at both North Memorial Health Pharmacy locations. Medications can be placed in disposal boxes during pharmacy business hours.
Accepted medications include:
- Unused or expired prescription medications
- Over-the-counter medications
- Pet medications
Disposing of Sharps
Sharps are classified as needles, lancets and syringes. To prevent injury and the spread of disease, sharps must be properly stored and disposed of. Never throw loose sharps in the trash and never place a container containing sharps in a recycling bin. Here are a few safe options to properly dispose of sharps.
Drop-off facilities are free of charge and require proof of residency, such as a driver’s license. There are 2 drop-off locations in Hennepin County:
- Bloomington drop-off facility
South Hennepin Recycling and Problem Waste Drop-Off Center
1400 West 96th Street
Bloomington, MN 55431
- Brooklyn Park drop-off facility
Hennepin County Recycling Center and Transfer Station
8100 Jefferson Highway
Brooklyn Park, MN 55445
Sharps can be mailed to licensed disposal companies. There is a fee for this service. Try one of the following:
- Medasend, Inc.: 1-800-200-3581
- Sharps Compliance, Inc.: 1-800-772-5657
- Stericycle, Inc.: 1-866-783-7422
In Minnesota, it is currently legal to put used sharps that are in a laundry detergent bottle with a lid into the garbage, however this is highly discouraged because of the injury and health risks it places on facility workers. It is best to use one of the options above for safe and effective disposal of used sharps.
To learn more about household hazardous wastes and collection programs, contact your county’s solid waste office.
Storage or Destruction of Sharps
Option 1 – Storing Needles in a Container
Store in a rigid, puncture-resistant plastic container with a screw-on lid. Empty laundry detergent bottles work well. You can also purchase a sharps disposal container at any of our pharmacy locations.
- Do not use glass containers, aluminum cans or coffee cans
- Label the empty container “Do Not Recycle: Household Sharps”
- Drop used needles into the container point-first
- Only fill container half full of needles and sharps
- Keep lid screwed on to prevent spills
- Do not put unused medicines contained in sharps (epi-pens) in containers
Option 2 – Destroy at Home
Needle Destruction Devices
You may choose to purchase a needle destruction device. Use this to destroy needles and lancets after each use. The device will melt your sharps into small metal balls that you may throw away in the garbage. Do not recycle.
These automatically store and cut needles and are useful while away from home. Cut needles should be disposed of at a sharps collection site or through a mail-back program.