The Best Place to Bring Baby Into the World
Meet your baby face-to-face in the quiet, cozy, and extremely capable North Memorial Health Hospital Family Birth Center in Robbinsdale. All are welcome here, from drug-free vaginal deliveries to complex C-section procedures, low-risk newborns to critical NICU care. Our priority is to provide the service your family needs and wants with respectful, compassionate, culturally competent care.
The Labor and Delivery Experience
- Our Labor and Delivery department is intimate and quiet. Families enjoy a private room with a calming environment for recovering and bonding.
- We are the only hospital in the west metro that practices the LDRP method of care, which means you labor, deliver, recover, and spend postpartum time all in one room. One unit, one room, one care team.
- Our nurses are highly experienced and devoted. They’ve provided tens of thousands of hours of care, and many nurses have worked here for two to three decades.
- We provide engaged laborist support on our unit 24/7. A laborist is a highly trained and experienced OB/GYN physician who practices exclusively within the hospital. Laborists specialize in managing any labor that comes through the door and have extensive experience with pregnancy-related complications.
- We respect and maintain cultural expectations.
- We provide epidurals without delay 24/7. We support VBACs (vaginal birth after C-section) and external versions.
- We offer birthing balls, nitrous oxide, bubble-jet tubs, and aromatherapy for labor relief, along with epidurals and IV pain medication.
- We have one of the lowest C-section rates in the state.
- We are prepared for any labor and delivery that comes through the doors and respond to critical emergencies seamlessly.
- We partner with our Level III NICU for critical care for babies 23 weeks of gestation and up.
- Our labor and delivery and NICU units offer meticulous care and resources, no matter what your birth brings. Keeping mothers and babies together is a priority.
- Parents can choose between family medicine doctors and pediatricians for those first-days checkups.
Our Baby Friendly Designation
We worked hard for our Baby Friendly Hospital designation, a rigorous training program and standard that only about 500 hospitals nationwide have achieved. We aren’t stopping with the accreditation, either. We continue to proactively work toward providing the best evidence-based, family centered, empowering care possible, because as a team, we believe it will always be an ongoing process to deploy the smartest, most forward-thinking practices available.
Right now, our Baby Friendly designation means, among other things:
- We promote all of the practices that facilitate mother-baby bonding.
- We protect the Golden Hour after your baby is born, encouraging skin-to-skin contact for both vaginal and C-section births, with as little commotion as possible.
- All our nurses are specially trained in best breastfeeding practices and we offer donor breastmilk from our on-site milk bank if supplementation is needed. We also respect the decision or need to formula feed, and will make sure you get the best information on formula feeding for your baby. Ultimately, we want you to be confident in your ability to feed your baby, whatever you decide.
- We have lactation consultants available for breastfeeding challenges and advice.
- You “room in” with your newborn, which means you can spend as much time as possible in those early hours of your baby’s life.
Visiting Hours: We don’t restrict visitors to any particular hours—just whatever you desire.
Parking Vouchers: We give families a limited amount of parking vouchers for use, valid for one parking day. Additional discounted parking packages are available at the gift shop.
Valet service: Valet service is available to anyone visiting the hospital for $5. Valet is available at the main entrance to the hospital Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Valet services are also available at the emergency department entrance 7 days a week, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Doula/Labor Coach: We are a doula-friendly hospital and endeavor to keep you with your doula if you choose throughout the whole labor and delivery process, barring an emergency.
A Healthy Baby is Worth the Wait
The March of Dimes and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists agree: Healthy pregnancies should last until at least 39 weeks gestation to give babies all the time they need to grow and develop. We make sure providers have a medical reason to deliver babies before 39 weeks.
Services & Programs
Labor & Delivery
Our highly experienced nurses and staff provide compassionate, evidence–based, open-minded, culturally sensitive care for each mother and baby. The North Memorial Health Hospital in Robbinsdale is a designated Baby Friendly Hospital, and practices a model of one unit, one room, one team.
For complex cases, our nurses can refer you to our certified IBCLC lactation consultants for questions or concerns with lactation and breastfeeding.Learn More about Lactation
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
Our Level III NICU is equipped to provide crucial care for the the tiniest, most vulnerable of micropreemies—23 weeks and up. Our specially trained, incredibly experienced, interdisciplinary staff includes your family in the daily care plan whenever and wherever possible.Learn More about Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
Our care team makes sure mothers have all the information they need to get their family off to a healthy start, including evidence–based feeding and care information. You’ll labor, deliver, recover, and spend your postpartum time in the same room, minimizing shuffle and maximizing rest, recovery, and bonding time.
Partnership Practices Performing at North Memorial Health Hospital
North Clinic is an independently owned, multi-specialty healthcare clinic — guided by the doctors who care for families in the northwest metro area of Minneapolis/St. Paul.
Starting Your Journey
Family Birth Center Tours
The staff at our Family Birth Center offer free tours for those expecting to deliver at North Memorial Health Hospital. Schedule yours today!SCHEDULE A TOUR
Complete our secure, online Pre-Admission Form through Mychart. If you do not have a MyChart account you can sign up online. This form should be completed six weeks prior to your due date.PRE-ADMISSION FORM