Earlier in 2021, the North Memorial Health Pulmonary Rehabilitation team introduced a new program for COVID-19 long haulers. The program helps the COVID-19 long haulers build strength and endurance while learning new techniques to reduce shortness of breath.
In addition, customers gain:
- New breathing and relaxation exercises
- Education on the proper use of respiratory medications
- Information and recommendations for oxygen equipment
- Ways to conserve energy
- Community resources including support groups
Our Pulmonary Rehabilitation team works with each customer on a one-on-one basis to create a program for their specific needs. Every 8-week program includes an individualized exercise and education plan that includes:
- Customized exercise plans
- Inspiratory muscle training
- Breath retraining
- Education around emotional support and self-management skills to reduce further possible hospitalization.
- Customer with a diagnosis of COVID-19 experiencing persistent respiratory symptoms.
- Must be 20+ days from positive test, symptoms improved since onset and fever free for 24 hours without use of medications.
- Active COVID-19 infection.
- Currently hospitalized in an inpatient rehab unit or in a transitional care unit.
- Comorbidities including active cancer, complex neurological, renal or cardiac problems.
- Severe frailty, palliative or end of life needs.
- Acute DVT or PE present.
Refer customers to the COVID-19 Pulmonary Rehab program:
- Use Epic to place your referral. Search for Pulmonary Rehab. Select Pulmonary Rehab Outpatient Resp Services—Non COPD.
- Call us at 763-581-4297 to request paper referral forms.
Please note: Customer must have a Pulmonary Function Test prior to starting. Search Epic Orders for Pulmonary Function Test or PFT.