Ben Joseph Lexau, PsyD, LP
Approach To Care
Dr. Lexau has been trained in various forms of psychotherapy, but he is grounded in the principles of cognitive and behavioral therapy and mindfulness. Specializing in mental health, psychology and chronic pain, Dr. Lexau treats adults and adolescents with depression, anxiety disorders, addictions, personality disorders, chronic pain, cancer, obesity, and serious, persistent mental illnesses.
Dr. Lexau considers his customer’s physical and mental health along with their unique histories, relationships and social and economic circumstances as part of the ‘bio-psycho-social’ model that is essential to treatment. He strives to help customers feel relaxed in therapy while feeling heard and understood. He appreciates how hard it is to share private experiences and works to maintain an open and non-judgmental attitude.
- B.A. Degree in Psychology – University of Minnesota, 1989, Magna cum laude, member Phi Beta Kappa
- M.A. Degree in Cognitive and Biological Psychology – University of Minnesota, 1998
- Clinical Psychology Doctorate (PsyD) – Minnesota School of Professional Psychology, 2001
- Health Psychology Internship – VA Medical Center Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2001
- Postdoctoral Fellow in Health Psychology, Severe and Persistent Mental Illness – VA Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN, 2002
In his free time, Dr. Lexau enjoys spending time with his family, running, reading Scandinavian mysteries, working on his old house, walking his dog, and playing guitar.