Wobo Bekwelem, MD, MPH, FAHA, FACC, FSCAL, RPVI
Approach To Care
My approach is based upon a philosophy I learned from a mentor during my Public Health training. He said if I listened to patients long enough, they would tell me exactly what the issue was. I respect the customer’s perspective and focus on joint decision-making regarding treatment choices. I believe in taking time to educate customers and their families about possible causes of their illness and work to encourage habits and lifestyle changes that prevent worsening of an illness.
There are many factors that affect health outcomes, so I work closely with other specialties to address issues beyond my scope as a cardiologist to ensure that customers have all the support they need. I always want patients to leave satisfied that their questions and concerns have been addressed.
- Undergrad – University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
- Master’s – University of Minnesota School of Public Health
- Medical School – University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
- Internal Medicine Residency, University of Minnesota
- Cardiovascular Disease and Vascular Medicine Fellowship, University of Minnesota
- Interventional Cardiology and Endovascular Fellowship, University of Minnesota
- American Board of Vascular Medicine General and Endovascular Boards
- Registered Physician in Vascular Interpretation
- Interventional Cardiology
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Internal Medicine
- Outstanding Preceptor of the year (2017-2018), Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, Division of Family Medicine, University of Utah.
- Mayo Clinic Special Scholar award.
- Best abstract award for the Fellows-in-Training research competition at the ACC Midwest Cardiovascular Forum: Controversies in Cardiology Conference.
- American Heart Association Research Awardee.
- Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, Faculty Scholarship Award, University of Minnesota.
- Member, Minnesota Cardiovascular Health Alliance.
- Member, Committee on Scientific Sessions Program of the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.
- Member, PVD Scientific & Clinical Education Lifelong Learning (SCILL) Committee of the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology.
- Member, Utah Cardiac Registry Advisory Committee.
- Member, PVD Membership and Communications Committee of the Council on Peripheral Vascular Disease of the American Heart Association.
- Member, American College of Cardiology CardioSurve research panel.
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of Utah Medical School.
- Former Member, Salt Lake Regional Medical Center Governing Board.
I grew up in the coastal city of Port Harcourt, Nigeria in the Royal family of Charles “Ochiagha” Wagbara. After finishing medical school, I completed my training in Cardiovascular Disease, Interventional Cardiology, Vascular and Endovascular Medicine at the University of Minnesota. I then obtained a Master’s Degree in Public Health before undertaking a four-year adventure in beautiful Salt Lake City, Utah. In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my loving wife Megan and beautiful children, Malakhi and Zemira. We like the theatre, watching movies and playing sports.
All North Memorial Health providers accept the following insurance carriers. Don’t see your carrier or have insurance questions? Contact us at 763-581-CARE.
- Blue Cross
- Medical Assistance
- Preferred One